Thursday, July 13, 2006

My kind of "POP" culture

I'm going to be attending an event called POP - People Overcoming Poverty 7/29/06. POP's goal is to "empower people to overcome poverty and move toward self-sufficiency through effective use of services." This is a kid-friendly family event is primarily targeting the working poor (but it also provides info for job training and job seeker assistance). There will be a host of info services relevant for families including Medi-Cal & Healthy Families Low Cost Health Coverage, Health Screenings, Affordable Housing, Credit Counseling, Migrant Worker Assistance, Emergency Food Assistance, ESL & Translation Services, Child Safety Car Seat Program, Education opportunities, after school programs, Christmas assistance and more.

I'll be talking more with the event coordinator tomorrow about finding some tangible ways to invite people to be involved; but I'm already trying to come up with some awesome ideas for a cool door prize donation. They'll be giving away bikes (cool thing for a kid from a lower income family, eh) etc.

It sounds like there's room for more volunteers (either individuals or organization related). I'll have more details after tomorrow. If you're interested in donating some time (before, during, or after the event) or money or stuff for the prizes for the 'overcoming people' let me know. I'm also looking for some cool ideas of what to get for door prize donations.

That's it for now.
More later on this.....

1 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Glad to hear that you are linking up with this event. Keep me posted on what you figure out is needed and all that. If I can do something, I will. Hasta.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home