Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Good Scents & God Sense

I'll write more about this later; but, I've been thinking a lot lately about finding another practical way to express care for the homeless. Those of you who know me, know my heart for this group. The hot days increase the need for personal deodorants, soaps, clean laundry and general hygiene products.

I've decided to start gathering trial sized personal hygiene products to pass out. (Note: I'm not endorsing this link, just linking to add a visual and ideas for brainstorming. I've never purchased anything from them before. Maybe they're great; maybe not.) Being female, my first thought goes to a scented trial sampler like body wash, body spray and lotion all in some fun scent; but that's not all that's needed (and not everyone will want something scented). Trial sized since they're light and easy to carry when you're mobile. My friends and I like to add a fun scent when we want to feel special or attractive. Why not give the same opportunity to the homeless?

In the summer months natural scents can become off-putting if you don't have the stuff to do something about it. This is confirmed for me in the elevator at the public library (where I go pretty often). Even when entering an empty elevator a distinctive smell from one of your predecessors can linger in the air for quite a while. Wouldn't it be personally attentive, if we banned together to help people avoid this kind of embarrassment? A woman poured expensive perfume on Jesus' feet when they were probably stinky and dirty. I'd like to do something like this in a culturally relevant way. I think that Bath and Body Works, Gillette, and other personal hygiene products just might help to that end.

Drop me a note if you're interested. I'm looking for:
- More ideas on the topic
- People who want to donate trial sized items (or money to buy them), or
- People who want to pass out some of the stuff (with me or on their own)
- Somebody with a 501(c)3 who wants to take checks so they can be tax deductible

It's stuff like this that makes me think I need to just hop the nonprofit hoops just for the tax breaks it gives to people who want to partner financially! Anyway..........

Here are some more ideas of summer relevant things for the homeless that would be good if you're thinking of making a donation of stuff:

Sun block
Chapstick
Disposable Razors
Antibacterial Gel
Glasses wipes
Sun Glasses
Socks (to replace the old smelly ones)
Zip lock bags (it's not fun to have even a trial sized bottle of liquid soap spill in the bag that carries all of your possessions)
We also used to pass out laundry cards at a local laundry mat that paid for a free wash and dry of one load of laundry. I'd like to start that up again.

4 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you. From collecting items to giving, I'm on board with this as per usual.

Let's do this. Let's not just give out items, let's get to know some new (or reaquainted with old) friends.

~Beck

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Let me know when you have something on the schedule. I'd love to participate.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

By the way, I am really glad to hear your heart for the homeless and to see this heart actualized. Good stuff. Glad you are near the homeless.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger House of Grace said...

Beck - Thanks for your ongoing support. Let's set a date to go trial-size shopping soon.

Ry - I'm glad to hear you want to be a part of this. What kind of timing is good for your family? Late Sat. AM's or early Sun. afernoons might be an easy start at the park across from my work. Would either of those times fit for you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home