Saturday, June 10, 2006

Al Gore & Store Wars

Thanks to the free movie passes that we get at work from time to time, the other night some friends and I saw a preview of Gore's movie about global warming, An Inconvenient Truth.

Although Gore makes several attempts at self promotion throughout the course of the film, the message he sends for each American to take personal responsibility for the environmental factors we contribute to our warming planet, is a good one to hear (even with the condescending Simpson comic used early on to explain green house gases). However, since one can easily argue that people read much less than what they see these days, maybe this, too, has its place to try to get quickly get the message to the masses.

Things are getting hotter. When I was in high school we had one summer in Phoenix with 4 days over 120 degrees (the hottest then, was 122 degrees when we popped 3/4 of a bag of microwave popcorn on the black top of the school parking lot). Last summer they had over 2 weeks over 120 degrees in the same area. In a few more weeks matinee viewers in the Phoenix area will probably be able make their own popcorn from the movie theater parking lots before heading in to see this flick.

If nothing else I hope the movie will leave more of us seriously contemplating this question, "What can I do to take more responsibility to reduce the way my life pollutes our planet?"

Not being scientifically inclined, perhaps this next tid bit is not even relevant. Nonetheless, I thought this video spoof called Store Wars might be a light way to end an otherwise heavy topic.

5 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I wish that I could've gone to this. I'd like to see what Gore has to say.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Oh, by the way, it's just wrong that you can make popcorn on the blacktop in AZ. Jen and I were talking about that last night after using the microwave.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger House of Grace said...

Ry,
I share your sentiments. I wish you and Jen could have joined the group for this movie. Maybe once Tommy gets a little older you guys can see it in a theater, or once it goes to video. And, I left AZ. with good reason. The soles of my older sister's shoes melted one summer day while she was walking home from a friends house. People just shouldn't raise children in a place that hot. :P

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was bummed to hear that you were not rooting for me in the finals.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger House of Grace said...

Don't take it personnaly, dirk/RL. While it's obvious that you didn't have the advantage of the D. Wade - Shaq duo, I can acknowlege that even with your inclination to tumble in search of the line, you do have some game that made for some really good games these last weeks. :) The better the competitor the better the game, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home